||Harrisburg or Home-based
At Connections Academy, helping students maximize their potential and meet the highest performance standards through
a uniquely individualized learning program is at the core of our mission. Connections Academy was founded in 2001 to deliver high-quality, highly accountable online education to students in grades K-12. Hallmarks of Connections Academy-supported online schools
include personalized learning, an award-winning curriculum and Education Management System (EMS), dedicated state-certified teachers, and a supportive school community. Parents of enrolled students consistently share their satisfaction with Connections Academy:
92% “would recommend the schools to other families” and 95% say the curriculum is “high quality.” In 2017, Connections Academy-supported public schools serve students in 27 states, while the private online school, International Connections Academy meets the
online school needs of students worldwide. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Academy is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections
Academy is part of the global learning company, Pearson, and its Online & Blended Learning group. For more information, visit www.ConnectionsAcademy.com.
Reach Cyber Charter School (Reach Cyber), a Pennsylvania Connections Academy school, is a tuition-free, public cyber school serving
students in grades K-11 statewide during the 2017-18 school year. The school will add one high school grade per year, ultimately serving students in grades K–12. Reach Cyber offers a variety of academic pacing options for students including a traditional school
year option, a year-long school year option and an accelerated option. Reach Cyber is authorized by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and governed by an independent Board of Directors. The school utilizes the Connections Education program. Connections
Academy, a division of Connections Education, is accredited by AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Working from our office in Harrisburg, PA, or home based if qualified, the Reading Specialist will supervise and coach elementary students in a face-to-face setting as they utilize online instruction and materials. Through use of the telephone, Internet
and various curriculum tools, the Reading Specialist will communicate regularly with parents, students, and curriculum specialists to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program.
The Reading Specialist will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Screen students to establish proper reading level using an informal reading inventory or similar tool;
- Collaborate with classroom teachers to select students who are in need of special reading instruction;
- Provide diagnostic, prescriptive, and evaluative services for identified students;
- Provide individual and small group instruction for identified students;
- Assist with the administration of state reading tests and other required state exams;
- Confer with the instructional staff on the reading needs of students and provide suggestions of effective interventions and strategies;
- Act as a resource teacher in the area of reading to regular classroom teachers by assisting them in the organization of the reading program, selection of materials, and implementation of teaching techniques to ensure the instructional program
relates to the special needs of students;
- Model effective reading instruction to classroom teachers;
- Provide reading resources for teachers, aides and parents;
- Review curriculum and devise alternate approaches to presenting lessons that will increase student understanding. Work directly with students and parents to implement these alternate lessons;
- Support the instructional program with asynchronous web conferencing sessions and synchronous instruction;
- Tutor struggling students in small groups or one-on-one;
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update Personal Learning Plans;
- Collaborate with other teachers to ensure that all students are successfully progressing through the program, that parents have a central point of contact, and that tasks are distributed among the teachers;
- Keep student records and data up-to-date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, grading, and logging all student and parent contacts;
- Develop and implement virtual methods of creating and maintaining a “school community”; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Appropriately certified in Reading in Pennsylvania (appropriate to grade level responsibilities).
- Strong multi-cultural skills.
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft OS and MS Office programs).
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Customer focused approach.
- High degree of flexibility.
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment.
- Team player track record.
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel).
- Ability to work remotely, if necessary.
- Ability to work some occasional evening hours, as needed to support some families
||Send This Job to a Friend