||Substitute Social Studies Teacher
At Pearson, we’re committed to a world that’s always learning, and to our talented team who makes it all possible. From bringing lectures vividly to life, to turning textbooks into laptop lessons, we are always reexamining the way people learn best, whether
it’s one child in our own backyard or an educational community across the globe. We are bold thinkers and standout innovators who motivate each other to explore new frontiers in an environment that supports and inspires us to always be better. By pushing the
boundaries of technology—and each other to surpass these boundaries—we create seeds of learning that become the catalyst for the world’s innovations, personal and global, large and small.
Pearson’s Online & Blended Learning K-12 group provides high-quality, highly accountable online education solutions to schools, school districts and students in grades K-12. It serves families and schools with a variety of digital learning and online school
solutions including Connections Academy, International Connections Academy, and Pearson Connexus. In 2017, it will deliver online learning to over 400,000 students in the U.S. and 48 countries. The group, formerly known as Connections Education, is based in
Columbia, Maryland and has been named a “Top Workplace” by the Baltimore Sun for three consecutive years and a “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum, high-quality teachers and leadership, Pearson Online & Blended
Learning is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Working from your home, certified Substitute Teachers will “virtually” manage instructional programs. Through the use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools, the Substitute Teacher will consult regularly with students, Learning Coaches and
school personnel to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Social Studes Substitute Teacher will support CA schools during short-term periods of teacher absences for up to, but not limited to, 2-8 weeks. This is a
part-time position with no benefits.
The duties of a Substitute Teacher include, but are not limited to:
- Complete all grading, generate progress reports, and conduct parent conferences in a timely manner, as instructed by the school.
- Support the instructional program through a combination of synchronous and asynchronous web conferencing sessions (LiveLessons).
- Communicate with parents, students and other teachers on a regular basis to develop and update individualized learning plans and schedules, score assessments, provide feedback on student work, suggest instructional approaches and strategies, monitor completion
of assignments, and coach special projects.
- Work collaboratively with a team of teachers to ensure that all students on the team’s caseload are successfully progressing through the program.
- Support students and parents with alternate instructional strategies and provide assistance with daily assignments and projects.
- Communicate regularly with parents, students, and other teachers through use of computer and telephone, and ensure that students and parents have a central point of contact in the school.
- Keep student records and data up to date, including cumulative files, online student and family information, attendance accounting, and student logs.
- Work with Advisory Teachers and School Counselors to ensure students and families are receiving appropriate communications, students are making adequate progress and established goals are being met.
- Work with Special Education and 504 instructors to meet student performance and behavior goals/needs, upholding all requirements of IEPs and 504 plans.
- Meet biweekly with an assigned Substitute Services supervisor via video conferencing software.
- Actively check email while not on assignment to remain informed of upcoming assignments and important Substitute Services updates.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Highly qualified and certified to substitute teach Secondary Social Studies.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Multiple state certifications a plus
- Ability to obtain certification in other states as requested
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a fast-paced environment that requires significant flexibility, effective prioritization of tasks, self-direction, and creativity
- Understanding of IEP/504 plans and how they can be implemented in a virtual setting
- Excellent attention to detail and strong time management and organizational skills
- Commitment to student achievement
- Strong technology skills (experience with Microsoft Office programs and Google Apps is preferred)
- Microsoft OS and Microsoft Office equipped computer required
- Customer focused approach and team-player track record
- While on assignment, must be available Monday through Friday, during assigned school business hours (typically 8:00 am to 4:00 pm, in whatever time zone the school is located)
- May not provide care for others while on assignment. Alternative care arrangements must be made
- Complete required orientation and training programs within 30 days of hire, and at the beginning of each school year
- Ability to work occasional evening hours, as needed, to support some families
||Send This Job to a Friend