||Crain's Chicago Business
||Reporter-Commercial Real Estate
||Full Time Regular
Top 3 Reasons to Apply:
- The beat. Commercial real estate news is essential to Crain's business readers, providing everything from transactional sales leads to a deep understanding of the Chicago economy. Our coverage is read by paid subscribers.
- The colleagues. Crain's is a collegial place, where reporters and editors work together. Reporters also are experts in their fields, and the editors are experienced in business and magazine journalism.
- The company. Crain's Chicago Business is a family-owned publication that is largely buffered from the turmoil afflicting much of the media. Though the parent company is 100 years old, an entrepreneurial spirit is alive and well.
We are looking for someone to be the definitive source of news and analysis on commercial real estate, primarily in the downtown Chicago office market, but not limited to that area. In addition to being first and best, our new reporter must be able to write
knowledgeably and understandably to a sophisticated audience. We are looking to this reporter to generate his or her own story ideas and be the expert on these subjects.
This reporter must know how to cultivate sources, understand financial reports and crunch data. Trend-spotting is essential. He or she will be expected to break news and write with authority. He or she also must be able to write quickly on deadline and,
at the same time, produce long-form profiles or features. We are looking for someone who can move adroitly from subject to subject and beat to beat.
Crain's Chicago Business publishes four newsletters a week on commercial real estate. Working with colleagues, this reporter will be responsible for providing fresh material to these emails throughout the week.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum of 3 years of reporting experience in professional business journalism
- Background working in a deadline driven newsroom
- Ability to generate story ideas, write cleanly and coherently, develop sources, break news, work quickly with minimum supervision
- Understanding of financial and business terminology
- Must be familiar with the big names in commercial development in the office, retail, industrial and multifamily residential markets
- Experience using Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word and Excel
- Ability to travel within metro Chicago
- Effective communication skills
- Be well-read, be curious, be able to work with peers in a collaborative manner and take guidance from editors in a productive manner
- Be analytical and comfortable with numbers; accuracy is essential
- Know how to organize his or her thoughts and write with a point of view; be a clear and clean writer
- Be established on social media and adept at multimedia
- Must supply link to online portfolio or samples of work.
- Graduate level or higher education in related field
- MBA or Law degree a plus
- Experience reporting on commercial real estate industry
- Preferred candidates will have a wealth of information of Chicago commercial real estate as well as a deep contact list in the industry
- Daily newsroom experience
- Strong history of generating scoops
- Experience reporting on the Chicago business community
- Proficiency in Excel
- Be ambitious and competitive, and unafraid of challenges or change; the reporter should want to make a difference and be first with news
For over 30 years, Crain's Chicago Business has been the premier source of local business news and information for the Chicago area's influential business executives. Every week Crain's print edition delivers scoop-oriented
articles, enlightening features and invaluable industry rankings. Crain's award-winning website, ChicagoBusiness.com, is an essential online tool for news, information and statistics about doing business in Chicago. Crain's Chicago Business is a Crain Communications
Crain Communications has been at the forefront of the publishing industry for more than a century. Combining information with innovation. Crain delivers the story you can’t get anywhere else. As a privately held company,
we maintain a personal responsibility for elevating our work to be the best it can be. Every editor, reporter and correspondent at Crain shares the responsibility of ensuring the editorial independence and importance of our work. With an Audience First focus
and uncompromising integrity, we strive to make a real impact for the individuals and industries we serve. While other media companies report the news, Crain gives it meaning. We add context to content, infuse information with insights, and initiate connections
as well as conversations.
Crain Communications offers a competitive salary, a generous benefits package, profit sharing, and a friendly work environment. This is a great time to join our organization -- a profitable, well established publishing
Follow Crain on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Glassdoor
Crain Communications Inc is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status
as a protected veteran, or disability. We thank you for your interest in Crain Communications and invite you to visit our website as positions are updated regularly. EOE/Vet/Disability
Please view the Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law Poster provided by OFCCP
||Send This Job to a Friend