At Connections Academy, helping students maximize their potential and meet the highest performance standards through a uniquely individualized learning program is at the core of our mission. Connections Academy was founded in 2001 to deliver high-quality,
highly accountable online education to students in grades K-12. Hallmarks of Connections Academy-supported online schools include personalized learning, an award-winning curriculum and Education Management System (EMS), dedicated state-certified teachers,
and a supportive school community. Parents of enrolled students consistently share their satisfaction with Connections Academy: 92% “would recommend the schools to other families” and 95% say the curriculum is “high quality.” In 2017, Connections Academy-supported
public schools serve students in 27 states, while the private online school, International Connections Academy meets the online school needs of students worldwide. Recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Academy is committed to
expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections Academy is part of the global learning company, Pearson, and its Online & Blended Learning group. For more information, visit
Pecos Connections Academy (PCA) is a tuition-free, virtual public school serving students in grades K-10 throughout New Mexico during the 2018-19 school year. The school will add one high school grade per year, ultimately serving students in grades K–12.
PCA is authorized by the Carlsbad Municipal School District and governed by an independent Board of Directors. The school is contracted with Connections Academy of New Mexico, LLC, to provide its educational program and other services. Connections Academy,
a division of Connections Education, is accredited by AdvancED; PCA is an applicant for accreditation with North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement, an accrediting division of AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from our office in Carlsbad, or from your home in New Mexico, the Special Education Teacher will “virtually” manage instructional programs for students with special needs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will
consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Special Education Teacher will participate in all steps of the IEP process. They will work closely with other teachers
and district professionals to ensure that the school’s special education program is successful and operating in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Special Education Teacher will utilize technology to deliver virtual instruction.
The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Manage and provide instructional guidance, virtual teaching and general strategies for a caseload of students;
- Develop, write and help implement IEPs and 504 plans;
- Evaluate tests and assessments, complete report cards and conduct parent conferences;
- Communicate regularly with parents/learning coaches of students with special needs to insure that their IEP goals are being met, and that their needs are addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Consult with teachers and coordinate the implementation of specially designed instruction as defined in the IEP regarding students with specific needs and potential learning issues;
- Provide direct services to students including services delivered through web-conferencing software, as needed;
- Schedule, organize and conduct IEP related meetings in a virtual environment, as needed;
- Participate in the school’s Student Support Team; help teachers and learning coaches develop and implement program modifications and strategies for all students;
- Assist, as needed, with the organization and proper implementation of all paperwork, documentation and procedures for the IEP process;
- Assist with locating service providers for students needing related services as mandated by their IEPs;
- Assist with negotiating and executing contracts with service providers for students requiring such services;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date data in the school’s Learning Management System and special education software;
- Assist with administering state testing and coordinate the special adaptations that are required based on the IEP; and
- Other duties as assigned.