||Special Education Teacher, 2017-2018 School Year
Connections Education is a leading provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Since 2001, the company’s
Connections Academy has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools. In the 2014-15 school year, Connections Academy supports 29 virtual public schools
in 25 states – serving more than 60,000 students. Connections Education delivers blended (online and on-site) learning in select states via
Nexus Academy schools, while students worldwide seeking a private online school can attend
International Connections Academy. The
Connections Learning by Pearson division meets the needs of schools, school districts, and other institutions looking to develop and enhance their online learning programs. Connections Learning by Pearson delivers a full range of targeted digital learning
solutions to the K–12 education community including online courses, a program for homebound students, a digital learning platform, and private and public online schools. Connections Education is based in Baltimore, Maryland and was named a 2014 “Top Workplace”
by the Baltimore Sun and a 2013 “Best Place to Work” by Baltimore magazine. Regularly
recognized for its outstanding curriculum and leadership, Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology, and helping students achieve both academic and personal success. Connections Education is part of the global
education company, Pearson.
Position Summary and Responsibilities:
Working from your home in Florida, the Special Education Teacher will “virtually” manage instructional programs for students with special needs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning
coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Special Education Teacher will participate in all steps of the IEP process. They will work closely with other teachers and district professionals to ensure
that the school’s special education program is successful and operating in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Special Education Teacher will utilize technology to deliver virtual instruction.
The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Manage and provide instructional guidance, virtual teaching and general strategies for a caseload of students;
- Develop, write and help implement IEPs and 504 plans;
- Evaluate tests and assessments, complete report cards and conduct parent conferences;
- Communicate regularly with parents/learning coaches of students with special needs to insure that their IEP goals are being met, and that their needs are addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion;
- Consult with teachers and coordinate the implementation of specially designed instruction as defined in the IEP regarding students with specific needs and potential learning issues;
- Develop daily lessons and teach lessons using research based strategies and Adobe Connect to students in grades K-3 in ELA and Math.
- Schedule, organize and conduct IEP related meetings in a virtual environment, as needed;
- Participate in the school’s Student Support Team; help teachers and learning coaches develop and implement program modifications and strategies for all students;
- Assist, as needed, with the organization and proper implementation of all paperwork, documentation and procedures for the IEP process;
- Assist with locating service providers for students needing related services as mandated by their IEPs;
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date data in the school’s Learning Management System and special education software;
- Assist with administering state testing to students with IEPs and/or students with 504 plans.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
- Valid Special Education credential in Florida
- Experience in policy (IDEA) and/or administration with Special Education
- Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Customer focused approach
- High degree of flexibility
- Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
- Team player track record
- Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
||Send This Job to a Friend